Official CERT website for the Republic of Uganda
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a CERT?
CERT is an acronym; that stands for COMPUTER EMERGENCEY RESPONSE TEAM (CERT). The basic idea to use a CERT is to perform the numerous amount of tasks needed in emergencies. It is a team responsible for receiving, reviewing, and responding to computer security incident reports and activity.
A CERT focuses on security breaches, incident-handling denial of service incidents, providing alerts and avoidance guidelines.It also coducts public awareness campaigns and engages in research aimed at improving security systems.
- Where can I find current cyber security information?
CERT Uganda provides and distributes current information on cyber security such as news, vulnerabilities, threats and alerts for public awareness. You can subscribe to our mailing list and feeds to get up to date information.
- Will my sensitive information stay private after I send it to the CERT UG ?
We will keep any and all information specific to your site or email confidential unless you give us permission to release that information. We distribute only composite, sanitized information in our publications.
- How do I report an incident or provide feedback to CERT.UG?
- What should businesses do to protect themselves from cyber attack?
CERT Uganda encourages businesses to know their networks, understand the importance of their information then further comprehend how to protect them both. The businesses should be alert and always prepared before an incident occurs.
- What is the relationship between CERT.UG and the other organisational groups with the CERT name?
Today there are over 250 organisations worldwide that use the 'CERT' name or a similar name to deal with or manage cybersecurity response. CERT.UG is an independent national group from the rest however we cordinate and collaborate with some of these groups on security incidents
- What general guidance does CERT.UG offer?
As general guidance, CERT.UG recommends the following:
- Use strong passwords or passphrases
- Patch applications and operating systems
- Limit the amount of users with administrative privileges
- Create backups or copies of valuable information and always store safely
We developed some publications on cyber security tips for businesses
- Why is it important for businesses to report cyber incidents?
It is important for businesses to report cyber incidents to CERT.UG so as to enable us to form a more accurate view on cyber security vulnerabilities and threats hence ensuring the businesses receive the right help and advice. All information provided to us is held in the strictest confidence.